- Why is this project necessary, and why is it happening now?
Just like highways, runways require continued upkeep and maintenance. Since runways are used around the clock in all weather conditions by heavy aircraft, rehabilitation can be costly and time-consuming. Runway 9/27 is one of CVG’s most utilized runways and the airport’s preferred nighttime use runway.
Based on pavement condition and anticipated future utilization, especially by cargo operators, CVG has been preparing for several years to complete a major rehabilitation of Runway 9/27 in 2021. Working closely with the FAA and cargo operators, this project has been condensed to a one-construction-season closure (normally would take two years for an extensive rehab project like this). This project will help ensure CVG’s airfield can continue to handle all types of aircraft and continue generating jobs and significant output for the region’s economy.
- Who will be most impacted during the months of construction on this project?
Runway 9/27 will be closed starting in March 2021 through the fall. Runway 18R/36L, which is the airport’s western-most runway, will also be closed at points during that time. Therefore, communities north and south of CVG may notice an increase in aviation noise in 2021, including between the hours of 10pm and 7am. Communities to the east and west of CVG may not experience as much aviation noise as usual during this project.
- Who makes decisions regarding flight paths?
It is important to remember that the FAA Air Traffic Control Tower and approach control are responsible for safe movement of aircraft on the ground and in the air. Safety will always be the priority that guides air traffic decisions. Even with Runway 9/27 closed during this time, the FAA will follow established flight corridors and procedures, accounting for wind and weather, time of day, and aircraft type. More information on this topic can be found here.
- Will there be an increase in noise as a result of the construction?
Areas to the north and south of the airport may experience a temporary increase in both daytime and nighttime aircraft noise as a result of the runway rehabilitation. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Click here to learn more about aviation noise.
- New Heights Strategic Plan
- CVG Blogs:
- On the Horizon blog serves up the latest stories and news from CVG Airport. Whether you’re an aviation enthusiast, have a vested interest in the airport or just love to travel, you’re invited to follow along.
- CVG@Work showcases the people and talents that keep the airport business moving.
- Jet with Jay shares stories from radio personality Jay Kruz with Mix 94.9FM on his travel journeys and how you can see the world from CVG Airport.
- Noise abatement at CVG Airport
Runway 9/27 Project Overview