6.6% Passenger Growth and 11.3% Cargo Tonnage Growth
Jan. 19, 2016 — In 2015 CVG experienced its largest passenger growth since 2005. Total passenger traffic increased 6.6 percent over 2014, while local passengers increased 16 percent. This represents 367,000 new passengers year-over-year.
Cargo traffic grew by 11.3 percent in 2015. For the first time in its history, CVG experienced over 800,000 tons of cargo and has now experienced double digit year-over-year growth in three of the last four years. Since 2011, cargo volume has increased more than 50 percent and CVG continues to be the fastest growing cargo airport in North America. CVG is the ninth largest cargo airport in North America and 34th in the world.
CVG also achieved a significant year-over-year decrease in its average domestic air fare with a decrease of 16.7 percent based on second quarter 2015 Department of Transportation reports. The decrease in air fare resulted in CVG dropping to the #20 ranking in the national top 100 airport report.
“Both 2014 and 2015 were outstanding years for CVG and we continue to build this momentum,” said Candace McGraw, chief executive officer, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport. “We have been successful in diversifying our carrier base with a strong mix of traditional and low-cost carriers. Customers in the Tri-State region have responded in a positive way. We have the community to thank for helping us achieve this great success.”
“I congratulate the entire CVG team on the tremendous success achieved in 2015,” said J. Michael Schlotman, CVG Board Chairman. “The transition of CVG to a multi-carrier, multi-use airport operation with emphasis on serving the local community is creating a stronger airport for the future. Our new mission statement says, ‘we want CVG to be the airport of choice to work for, fly from, and to do business with,’ and these results clearly indicate we are moving in the right direction.”
In addition to strong passenger, cargo and air fare improvements, airport land development also grew, spearheaded by a new 900,000 square foot distribution center for Wayfair Inc. on 52 acres of airport property. DHL also began development of a new 50-acre aircraft apron expansion capable of parking an additional 16 aircraft. Both projects should be completed in 2016 resulting in new economic development activity for the region.
CVG leads the region with nonstop service to 53 destinations and more than 160 peak-day departures. In 2015, CVG added approximately 400,000 new low-cost carrier seats to its product offering and now offers low-cost carrier service to 23 destinations, including Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Passenger & Cargo Metrics
• Served 6.3 million passengers in 2015
• Welcomed 367,000 new passengers through the front door
• Local passenger traffic increased 16.0 percent
• Total enplanements increased 6.6 percent
• Total cargo tonnage increased 11.3 percent
• CVG is the ninth largest cargo airport in North America and 34th in the world
Air Service Development
• Added over 400,000 new low-cost carrier seats to its network and grew total capacity by 5 percent
• Allegiant announced a new base of operations at CVG and is now the sixth largest airport on
the Allegiant network serving 13 destinations
• CVG is now the eighth largest airport on the Frontier network and serves 11 destinations
• Introduced new daily nonstop service with American Airlines to New York - LaGuardia
• CVG continues to be the largest origin airport on the Vacation Express network with four destinations
• CVG offers nonstop service to 53 destinations with more than 160 peak-day departures – more than any surrounding airport
• CVG earned renewal of Safety Act certification for its Airport Security Management Plan
• Completed annual FAA certification inspection with zero discrepancies (“perfect score” by FAA)
• Completed 2014 financial audit with no material weaknesses or significant deficiencies
• Recipient of World Airports Award from SkyTrax as Best Regional Airport in North America for fifth consecutive year. CVG is ranked 30th globally for the World’s Top Airports and the highest ranked airport in the United States. CVG ranked fourth for Best Airport Staff in North America.
• Won the Best Concession Management Team by Airport Revenue News and was recognized for Best Amenities in the Small Airport Category
• The CVG website; CVGairport.com won the Telerik Sitefinity website of the Year
• Opened new children’s play area in concourse A
• Opened new 1,500 square foot Smashburger concession in concourse A
• CVG partnered with ArtsWave to present free performances showcasing the arts of the region to enhance the passenger travel experience
• Added three new transportation buses to enhance service for ValuPark customers
• Hosted the first ever all female Honor Flight to Washington, D.C.
• Lowered the aircraft landing fee from $2.75 to $2.32 for signatory carriers
• Established new five-year business model for airlines that will be in place through 2020
• Construction began on a new 900,000 square foot / 52-acre distribution center for Wayfair, Inc.
• DHL began construction on a new $108M, 50-acre aircraft apron and ground service equipment maintenance facility
• Employees and concession partners raise more than $39,000 for United Way and JDRF
• The Autism Society of Greater Cincinnati awarded CVG, Delta Air Lines and TSA with its Faces of Autism Community Appreciation Award in recognition of the SOAR (Starting Our Adventure Right) Program